Re: Terminology: “non-method function”

John J Barton johnjbarton at johnjbarton.com
Wed Apr 11 09:57:00 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Axel Rauschmayer <axel at rauschma.de> wrote:

> What is a good term for functions that don’t have/use dynamic `this`?
> “Non-method function” defines them by what they aren’t, I would like a
> positive definition. I’ve considered the term “pure function”, but the
> adjective “pure” is already heavily overloaded, especially in functional
> programming.

Your combination 'don't have/use'  confuses me. A function declaration does
not have a 'this', dynamic or not, but it can use 'this' and expect it to
be bound dynamically. A function object created from the function
declaration can have 'this', but only if it is bound, which in my
understanding is therefore not dynamic. To me 'having a dynamic this' is an
oxymoron: if you have it, then it ain't dynamic.

Can you un-confuse me?

jjb