Digraphs *and* Unicode pretty-glyphs, for arrows, triangle, etc.

Jussi Kalliokoski jussi.kalliokoski at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 03:17:07 PDT 2012

I have to say I don't like this idea (at this time). Gmail autoconverting
out of Unicode is another signal that Unicode support just isn't there yet.

My preferred terminal (urxvt) has Unicode support, but it's an exception
rather than a rule; that terminal even has Unicode in its name. I've worked
with a lot of terminals that didn't support Unicode, in fact even my VPS
doesn't support Unicode over SSH, and when I'm traveling, I often code over
SSH on that server. My Twitter client doesn't (properly) support Unicode.
My keyboard has no glyphs in it.

Unicode will come there, but I don't think now is the time to put something
like this in the language. If a code viewer does syntax highlighting, it's
a piece of cake to display glyphs instead of operators, and that's as far
as language support should go for now. This would have implications on
minifiers, code parsers, pretty much everything, and the gain is very
small; it's hardly easier to input glyphs, and it's easily harder to read
them (I'm referring to the poor support).

Please, feel sorry for the poor chaps who have to debug code that shows as
blocks on their editors. :) I'm asking if this is something we actually
need enough for it to be worth it that some code becomes illegible to some
people?

Cheers,
Jussi