Digraphs *and* Unicode pretty-glyphs, for arrows, triangle, etc.

Erik Corry erik.corry at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 01:01:34 PDT 2012

2012/4/10 Andreas Rossberg <rossberg at google.com>:
> On 5 April 2012 17:35, Thaddee Tyl <thaddee.tyl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Adam Shannon <adam at ashannon.us> wrote:
>> > I don't see anything inherently wrong with adding some nice sugar to
>> > ES, because the people who will be using this "math heavy" notation
>> > will be those who are used to it. The "everyday" ecmascript programmer
>> > probably won't touch these because they might add extra work for them.
>> > Plus, it'd be nice to be able to read math in ES (for us math oriented
>> > folk).
>>
>> Leksah <http://leksah.org/> is a Haskell IDE whose editor converts ->
>> and other operators to their unicode equivalent. It saves the file in
>> ascii.
>

> Indeed, this is standard practice for almost all functional languages. For
> example, even old-school Emacs modes for Haskell, OCaml, Agda, Coq, etc are
> all capable of rendering underlying ASCII with nice math characters, and
> have been for ages.

There are lots of apps that display JS source.  For example the web
based code review tool, the terminal output from 'svn blame' or the
pages produced by the svn-www source browsing gateway.  There are
services like gist or mailing lists like this one.  All of these are
capable of displaying Unicode characters with no problems these days,
but it would be too much to ask for all of them to autoconvert =>into
=>.

Note that I said they could all display Unicode, but it is not
necessarily easy to input Unicode characters, so the ASCII version
still has to work.

--
Erik Corry