Dynamic this

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Mon Apr 9 10:46:43 PDT 2012

Hello,

this is more a conceptual question post. But first some proposals that
circulated in the list:

1. Dynamic-this enabled fat arrow functions.

(this, ...) => expr
(this, ...) => { body }

2. ABC (apply/bind/call) shortcuts.

thisobj::identifier(...args) // apply
thisobj::identifier // bind
thisobj::identifier(arg, arg, ...) // call

Now, I like them both. I like this dynamic this being in the language
and things that it allows (ad-hoc methods). Sure it can be used wrong
ways, as everything.

The question is: is dynamic this liked (in the sense, is it the feature
which we see as valuable and as one we want proudly have in the
language) or is there rather the footgun/no-one-uses-it-right movement
for diminishing its role to strange relic?

I saw the mixed opinions.

Herby