Private Names and Methods

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Fri Apr 6 14:57:58 PDT 2012

I was thinking about Allen’s

    class Sub extends mixin(Jane, Jack, Super) {
    }

Which could have the following prototype chain.

    Sub -> Jane' -> Jack' -> Super.prototype

A method in a module that works like Prototype’s Object.extend(), but copies private properties should suffice.

Variations:
- Copy Jane and Jack into the same object.
- Use a class declaration to define the mixins Jane and Jack. Then the prototype chain is
        Sub -> Jane.prototype' -> Jack.prototype' -> Super.prototype

Quoting Brendan:
> Including the private-named properties? That would be bad for integrity: Alice can't give Bob an object-as-capability where the private names stay private. Bob can extract them via this hypothetical spread-in-braces and then abuse them (e.g. to brand a counterfeit object and fool Carol into thinking it was from Alice).

I don’t see how that can be avoided. One could have two kinds of private names: High-integrity ones and copy-able ones.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
axel at rauschma.de

home: rauschma.de