Private Names and Methods

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Fri Apr 6 01:19:39 PDT 2012

Brendan Eich wrote:
> Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>> But you should want to do that renaming because the helper is no
>> longer a method so making it a function that references "this" would
>> just be a likely source of confusion concerning the intended use of
>> the function
>
> IOW, OOP-uber-alles does not work and is not necessary in JS. This is
> considered a virtue by some, a vice by others. Discuss!

Yes, I agree, +1.
If something is "method-like" I do not see why not to use
this/call/apply. It may as well be "helper pluggable-function" (there
may be a bunch of them an d I can call that bunch a "dynamic mixin"),
there is no law that "helper" can only be a function.
And what's not object-oriented there? They are still objects (as per "X
is object iff X has identity, state and behaviour" except behaviour is
not necessarily declared statically and at one place).

> /be

Herby