arrow function syntax simplified

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon Apr 2 16:10:50 PDT 2012

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> No doubt I'm repeating myself fro a previous message, so I'll be more
> forceful.  "dynamic this" is a core OO concept but "dynamic this" in a
> non-method context is an abomination.

The problem is "non-method context" is ill-defined in JS (ES5.1 or
lower), without extensions.

With extensions such as method definition shorthand in object literals,
maybe -- but that has not yet been demonstrated.

Trying to catch some (but not all as you allow) wrong-this patterns
dynamically will have false positives as well as false negatives, and
smells bad to me.

I agree we don't need optional leading-this parameterization of arrows,
of course. That's why I cut it. Doug was not the only one to bring it up
again, though. I'm happy to hang tough against it, and I hope Doug is
too now, based on this thread.