Class Syntax Proposal, Complete With Arguments For and Examples.
jonathan.dumaine at dumstruck.com
Sat Sep 17 15:28:09 PDT 2011
I would like to add my suggestion for js classes.
The key points are:
- Constructors are functions named the same as the class.
- Inside the class, *this* refers to the class instance.
- Functions and variables are declared outside the constructor, inside
the class block.
- function and var keywords are optional after private or public
- Getters, Setters are optional, but often useful. My example could be
very concise after removing comments, spacing and getters/setters.
- When compiled & minified, this syntax would be nearly equivalent to the
current proposal (size-wise).
Arguments & Warrant:
This form would be very recognizable to people familiar with classical
nature and prototypal inheritance. Almost everything in this form of class
could be compiled to a prototypal form.
I also argue that this form of class is far more readable, which is a very
as the web evolves.
Lastly, I definitely have to veto the private @ syntax as posted in
Brendan's TXJS slides. Apparently M. Night is also on the ECMA committee,
because having symbols act as both operators and special, prefixed accessors
would be quite a twist. :)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the es-discuss