Grawlix

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Wed Oct 12 08:32:10 PDT 2011

On Oct 12, 2011, at 6:53 AM, Joe Developer wrote:

> I think an important question here is:
> Who are you actually trying to serve with your changes?

See the actual goals requirements and goals for ES Harmony at http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:harmony

Requirements
New features require concrete demonstrations.
Keep the language pleasant for casual developers.
Preserve the “start small and iteratively prototype” nature of the language.
Goals

Be a better language for writing:
complex applications;
libraries (possibly including the DOM) shared by those applications;
code generators targeting the new edition.
Switch to a testable specification, ideally a definitional interpreter hosted mostly in ES5.
Improve interoperation, adopting de facto standards where possible.
Keep versioning as simple and linear as possible.
Support a statically verifiable, object-capability secure subset.