Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at
Wed Oct 12 08:32:10 PDT 2011

On Oct 12, 2011, at 6:53 AM, Joe Developer wrote:

> I think an important question here is:
> Who are you actually trying to serve with your changes?

See the actual goals requirements and goals for ES Harmony at

New features require concrete demonstrations.
Keep the language pleasant for casual developers.
Preserve the “start small and iteratively prototype” nature of the language.

Be a better language for writing:
complex applications;
libraries (possibly including the DOM) shared by those applications;
code generators targeting the new edition.
Switch to a testable specification, ideally a definitional interpreter hosted mostly in ES5.
Improve interoperation, adopting de facto standards where possible.
Keep versioning as simple and linear as possible.
Support a statically verifiable, object-capability secure subset.