Globalization API Feedback - moar!

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 30 21:55:07 PST 2011

On Nov 30, 2011, at 9:52 PM, Luke Hoban wrote:

>> Speaking on behalf of real world web developers, the opposition to "Globalization" is that it's unnecessarily long. This is a long standing problem with APIs that are designed by people that don't have to use them everyday.
>
> Agreed - a shorter name would be better - but the alternative being discussed here is not a shorter name - it's this tradeoff:
>
> "Globalization" vs. "Object.System.loaded['@globalization']"

As I just suggested in reply to Rick, I think micro-optimizing here for brevity is not the main thing. Most developers will want the Date.prototype, etc. extensions -- easy to use and better-localizable methods.

All the full-metal OOP APIs for amortizing collator construction costs, etc., will be used less frequently, even if by some big web app properties.

/be