Globalization API: Customers

Nicholas C. Zakas standards at nczconsulting.com
Tue Nov 29 13:09:32 PST 2011

Question about #5: are you also considering this to be server-side
Node.js developers?

I'll take a stab at breaking this down. Admittedly, this is much harder
than I thought it would be, so consider these numbers as order of
magnitude indicators more than anything else:

Monolingual non-library users:        5%
Monolingual library users:              57%
Multilingual library users:               25%
Library developers:                        10%
Web service developers*:               3%

If Node.js developers are grouped into this category, then I would
expect this number to grow.

A word of caution that I usually throw out in API discussions: I think
it's a mistake to design an API with the intent that a library will
smooth out the interface for you. IMHO, core language features should be
usable out-of-the-box.

-N