Globalization API: supportedLocalesOf vs. getSupportedLocales

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Mon Nov 28 18:28:45 PST 2011

Here's the problem.

The very same collator for "de" is valid for "de-DE", "de-AT", and "de-CH".
In ICU you actually get a functionally-equivalent object back, no matter
which of these you ask for.

However, that collator is *also* valid for other countries where 'de' is
official: de-LU, de-BE, de-LI. Moreover, it is *also* valid for countries
with sizable German speaking populations, including de-US and de-BR. And,
it is *also* valid for German as used in any other country: "de-FR", ...,
even "de-AQ".

That is, you would not expect any variation in collators between "de-DE"
and "de-US". A German collator is equally valid for both. It is somewhat
arbitrary where any given implementation draws the line in terms of
indicating which locales a valid collator can be returned for.

Mark
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*
*
*