Direct proxies update

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 03:55:48 PST 2011

Le 26/11/2011 01:52, David Bruant a écrit :
> Le 24/11/2011 22:29, Tom Van Cutsem a écrit :
>> 2011/11/24 Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen at wirfs-brock.com
>> <mailto:allen at wirfs-brock.com>>
>>
>>     At the core is a root question whether we want to expose a
>>     functional or object-oriented API for reflection functionality.
>>      (...)

I realize what that sentence meant yesterday, very late. And I realized
also that all what Tom said was legitimate. A Mirror style API ("an
object-oriented API") can be built on top of the Reflect API ("a
functional API" as I understand it). The opposite it true, but comes
with an overhead. Maybe in the future, it will be possible to optimize
expressions like "Mirror.on(object).has('bla')" (used to implement
Reflect.has('bla') if the Mirror style API is used), but it will always
require some additional analysis. The opposite is not true.

Consequently, regarding the built-in implementation, I would favor a
functional API as well, unless the mirror API has advantages I am
oblivious to.

David