Error.innerException (or innerError) instance property

Andrew Paprocki andrew at ishiboo.com
Thu Nov 24 21:38:31 PST 2011

Currently ES5 15.11.5 states that "Error instances have no special properties."

I'd like to see the specification of an |innerException| (or
|innerError|) property so that all embeddings have a standard defined
way for providing this information, if available. My implementation
currently uses |innerException| because the value is the "exception
object" returned by JS_GetPendingException (MDN). Although, this is an
Error object and I could see the argument for using |innerError| to
keep the naming consistent.

I mentioned this in a previous thread but I'd like to know if there
are any reasons why this is a negative thing to have officially
spelled out in the spec.

Thanks,
-Andrew