Nov 16 meeting notes

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Nov 23 18:47:13 PST 2011

On 11/23/11 at 16:38, dherman at mozilla.com (David Herman) wrote:

>I'm just basing this on my experience. I'm used to "the number
>of things in this collection" being called the "size" not the "length".

I'm OK with any of: length, size, count, or even
numberOfThingsCollected. (I realize Brendan will object to the
camel caps, and everyone will object to the verbosity of that
last not-terribly-serious suggestion.)

I just want one standard name that applies to arrays and all
other collections. (I realize it's hard to force future
collection authors to follow our standard, but we can strongly encourage.)

>Also, as someone pointed out in this thread, the length of an
>array is *not* the same as the number of indexed elements of
>the array, thanks to holes. So not only are the words different
>in English (IME, IMHO, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda) but the actual
>operations we're talking about are different.

So "length" does have something to do with the amount of machine
storage used, although its in funny units and ignores fixed
overhead and possible implementation optimizations. :-)

If we pick a word other than length, we could make it ignore
holes in arrays so "foo" isn't necessarily equal to "length".

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | When it comes to the world     | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | around us, is there any choice | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | but to explore? - Lisa Randall | Los Gatos,
CA 95032