Nov 16 meeting notes

Dean Landolt dean at deanlandolt.com
Wed Nov 23 11:26:38 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Dean Landolt <dean at deanlandolt.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Michael Haufe <tno at thenewobjective.com>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:15 PM, David Herman <dherman at mozilla.com>wrote:
>>
>> > Calling it "length" would be a mistake. The word "length" means the
>> measurement of a sequence:
>>

>> Of course, the word "magnitude" could consistently apply to arrays, sets,
>> numbers, maps, and so on. No one would want to write it though...
>>

> Actually no: we already have magnitude in the form of valueOf. This would
> be more akin to cardinality, but again, who wants to type that :)

Meh, I should have hit wikipedia first. Looks like magnitude and
cardinality are both pretty much absolute value. But yeah, both are too
long. The word `norm` is nice and short, but not very descriptive. Ah
well, my arm's getting tired from painting this shed :)

(But what I'd love to hear what people think about my suggestion of
skipping holes and even of doing real unicode char length)