why not "new" instead of "constructor"?

Jake Verbaten raynos2 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 10:40:54 PST 2011

> You are pushing into spaces I want to avoid discussing right now because
we have a tendency to prematurely "rat hole" on such secondary issues
without resolving the primary question.

I do have a bad habit of doing that!

> Is that distinction between instantiation and initialization very
important for the average JS programmer (or stated another way, is the
average JS programmer at risk if they fail to understand that distinction).
 Is the sophisticated JS programmer who understand the difference between
instantiation and initialization and the detailed semantics of the new
operator going to get confused it the initialization code is labeled with
"new"?

I was going to suggest "init" myself, but given those arguments I'd
actually agree that "new" is preferable for the average programmer.