why not "new" instead of "constructor"?

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Sat Nov 19 10:33:19 PST 2011

On Nov 19, 2011, at 9:54 AM, Axel Rauschmayer wrote:

> I like the idea of replacing the method name “constructor” with something better, but “new” suggests instantiation *and* initialization to me. Is “init” a possibility?

Is that distinction between instantiation and initialization very important for the average JS programmer (or stated another way, is the average JS programmer at risk if they fail to understand that distinction).  Is the sophisticated JS programmer who understand the difference between instantiation and initialization and the detailed semantics of the new operator going to get confused it the initialization code is labeled with "new"?

My intuition in both cases is that the answer is no.  If I'm correct then "new" seems like the better alternative.

Allen