Globalization API discussion

Nicholas Zakas standards at nczconsulting.com
Fri Nov 18 11:26:29 PST 2011

As part of the group that said the API is too Java-like, I'd like to
clarify. "Java-like" to me means that you need to create one or more
objects that are only kept around for a short period of time to
perform a single task. For example, if I already have a Number object
and want to format that number as currency, I'd expect to be able to
do something like this:

var price = 300,
    currency = price.toCurrencyString("USD");

Likewise for formatting dates:

var now = new Date(),
    pretty = now.toFormatString("mm/dd/yyyy");

Or some such thing. Realizing, of course, the discussion around
wanting to avoid formatting strings.

I'll be writing up a longer piece of feedback this weekend.

-N