Nov 16 meeting notes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Nov 18 08:49:14 PST 2011

On Nov 18, 2011, at 2:00 AM, Peter van der Zee wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:26 AM, Dean Landolt wrote:
>>
>>> Who can resist such a juicy bikeshed...
>
> Please keep the general js api consistent. We don't use "count" for
> anything to consider "the number of elements in the structure"
> (actually, we don't use it at all), so why start now. It will create
> more confusion and frustration to devs than the possible confusion of
> the semantic interpretation of the word "length" in contrast with the
> name of the structure.

Bad form, rehashing without responding to the substantive objection (raised in the immediately preceding message) to 'length':

The objection raised at the meeting is that, unlike arrays, there are no properties named 0, 1, ... [length - 1] on a map or a set.

Where pray tell is 'length' used for "the number of elements in the structure" but "the structure" has no indexed properties in the range [0, length)? Having length but no indexed properties at all will create confusion.

> At some point I'm starting to wonder who we're
> actually catering with these proposals...

Save it. Your response is catering to inconsistent and incomplete argumentation. Respond to all the arguments on the other side before throwing stones.