The class operator: a bridge between object and function exemplers

Jake Verbaten raynos2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 15:47:39 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2011, at 3:31 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>
> > We can debate whether Default Constructors should do a:
> >     if (super.constructor isnt Object) super.constructor()
> > but that is a more basic question about whether constructors (default or
> otherwise) should always do implicit super calls.
>
> We should debate. What do you think?

Personally I cannot think of any examples where this functionality would be
unwanted.

This debate will probably depend on the counter examples where invoking the
super constructor implicitly is unwanted behavior.

An argument for doing this is that you can use initialize or some other
name for constructor like functions that don't implicitly make super calls.