Choosing Globalization API namespace

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Nov 17 13:14:02 PST 2011

On Nov 17, 2011, at 10:07 AM, Nebojša Ćirić wrote:

> HI all,
>  we briefly discussed the i18n namespace at the meeting yesterday. It seems that "Globalization" (current proposal) could conflict with jQuery plugin, and also some members were worried about the actual name length.
>
>  Somebody mentioned we should wait for module implementation/spec to settle, but I don't think that would be reallistic if we were to start working on i18n API prototype(s) in the near future.

Modules are being prototyped in the near future, so there's nothing drastically less realistic about depending on some spec draft provision. It could change, but you could also bootstrap it in JS and not even wait for the concurrent module system prototyping to get that far.

>  What do you think would be a good alternative (Object system was mentioned, but I would need more deatails there)?

No, that is the "use the module system" idea. We need to agree on how the system loader, or the system modules, are reflected into legacy script without injecting new globals. Object.system as the system loader reference is one idea. Then you might wire up Object.system.load("@g11n"...) or whatever the right module loader API is.