Choosing Globalization API namespace

Nebojša Ćirić cira at google.com
Thu Nov 17 10:38:30 PST 2011

I feel the actual name was less of a problem for the committee, they were
more worried about possible conflicts, and wanted to make sure that we
place our library so that it can't conflict no matter what name we pick.

There are couple of names floating around (including i18n, World, Text).
Locale has a more low level meaning (usually a class that maintains locale
information), so it could confuse developers. Most of ad hoc members would
like to skip i18n, l10n, g11n kind of names (I'll let Norbert explain the
reasoning).

17. новембар 2011. 10.19, Dmitry Soshnikov <dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com> је
написао/ла:

> **
> On 17.11.2011 22:07, Nebojša Ćirić wrote:
>
> HI all,
>  we briefly discussed the i18n namespace at the meeting yesterday. It
> seems that "Globalization" (current proposal) could conflict with jQuery
> plugin, and also some members were worried about the actual name length.
>

> Unfortunately I hadn't an ability to follow in detail about this proposal
> (will check it later).
>
> Anyway, the "Globalization" name itself seems too long for me (yes, we all
> have autocomplete in editors, but nevertheless).
>
> What about "Locale"?
>
> P.S.: Having a similar module in one of my projects I used directly "i18n"
> name. E.g. i18n.translate('welcome').
>
> Dmitry.
>
>   Somebody mentioned we should wait for module implementation/spec to
> settle, but I don't think that would be reallistic if we were to start
> working on i18n API prototype(s) in the near future.
>
>   What do you think would be a good alternative (Object system was
> mentioned, but I would need more deatails there)?
>
>  --
> Nebojša Ćirić

Nebojša Ćirić