with

Dmitry Soshnikov dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 04:03:40 PST 2011

On 17.11.2011 15:57, Peter van der Zee wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Dmitry Soshnikov
> <dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> My first answer was glib, sorry. I'm proposing `with' as a replacement
>>> syntax for<|. So the above expression evaluates to the same as
>
>> Once again, it's absolutely the same approach which I showed yesterday with
>> using `extends'
>> (https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2011-November/018478.html).
> David is talking about the proposed<| operator, to replace that with
> `with`, initializing an object with a given object as prototype. Not
> extending... anything.

As well as I do.

When `extends' keyword is used in other langs for inheritance, does it
extend something in respect of copying own properties? Of course not.
It's just links an object with its prototype/class. Exactly for this it
was reserved in ES.

`extends' is the best in respect that it's used for exactly this purpose
in many other languages, and therefore, other users will fill familiar
with it.

I can accept `with' for mixins as was shown in previous letter.

Dmitry.