with

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 16 23:24:26 PST 2011

Someone who shall remain nameless shot this down when I floated it privately. But I just have to throw this out there, because I kind of can't stop myself falling in love with it...

We used to have this (mis-)feature for dynamically extending scope chains, and despite being ill-conceived, it did have this elegant syntax spelled "with." In ES5 strict, we banned that feature, and it's not coming back for ES6, or ever.

Now we want a (good) feature for dynamically extending prototype chains. And here's this old keyword, just lying around unused...

    obj with { foo: 12 } with { bar: 13 } with { baz: 17 }

So? Who's with me?

Dave