Minimalist (why) classes ?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Nov 11 16:48:10 PST 2011

On Nov 11, 2011, at 4:42 PM, John J Barton wrote:

> Object.extend() does not exist.

Which one do you mean?

Irakli is using Function.prototype.extend, not something like PrototypeJS's Object.extend.

> Similar but not identical functions
> are widely used. We would like a standard form built-in to the
> runtime.

You have to specify. But anyway, adding something specific, say Irakli's Function.prototype.extend, would not address the goals of classes-as-sugar.

> Or is this already in the standard but not implemented?

What "this" do you mean, *exactly*?

No fair acting like I didn't get you a free hot dog while I was selling hamburgers! You have to give (with specifics) to hope to get; you have to play to win.