WeakMaps question ?

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Fri Nov 11 15:55:09 PST 2011

On Nov 11, 2011, at 3:39 PM, Oliver Hunt wrote:

> A weak map can only remove an entry if both the key and value have died, in many ES implementations a number of the primitives are not gc allocated and so can never die, or are cached globally so have lifetime unrelated to any given program.

Yes, but this isn't just an implementation decision. The primitive values have existential identify (my term,  philosophers may mean something else).  All such values conceptually exist for all time, regardless of whether or not an instance of a particular value is actually instantiated an any particular point in time.

Allen