for own(...) loop (spin-off from Re: for..in, hasOwnProperty(), and inheritance)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 9 13:05:11 PST 2011

On Nov 9, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Jorge wrote:

> On 08/11/2011, at 22:17, John J Barton wrote:
>> Just as a point of comparison, I use this form:
>>  Object.keys(o).forEach( function(key) {
>>     body
>>  });
>
> By the way, isn't that above a(nother) good use case for a goto, given that there's no (easy) way to break out of a forEach 'loop' ?

"goto" as in C, from body to a label in the outer function or script? Seriously?

You could always use try/catch/throw, but who would?

Escape continuations and call/cc are off the agenda.

See http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:block_lambda_revival -- that's the only way you're going to get break as safer goto to work here. There: I closed on a positive note! :-P