On class literals possibly not making it into ECMAScript.next

Joe Developer joe.d.developer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 03:29:02 PST 2011

jQuery is a somewhat poor / extreme example - jQuery has taken a monolithic
approach to code structuring - while more modern and full featured
frameworks tend towards load-on-demand, and hence can offer
'capability-loading'.

That said, I do think that it is worth keeping in mind that there will
continue to be a considerable lag between ES.current and ES.baseline for
browser apps - when you guys introduce constructs such as |> in lieu of
'jury-riggable' approaches such as commandering Object.extend etc then it
means that such code will be subject to de-facto environment lockin and
running in 'less capable' environments will require maintaining separate
codebases / transpile steps.

The goal may be to make JS easier - but it is more likely to have the
opposite effect, code containing |> will straight up break outside of
controlled environments.

When I see things like |> and .{ I get a bit queasy, but as long as you
guys also cater for more backwards compatible constructs I guess we can all
get along.