Status of script loading in ecmascript

John J Barton johnjbarton at
Thu Nov 3 19:53:08 PDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Axel Rauschmayer <axel at> wrote:
>> Is there a summary of the current status of standardized dependency
>> based script loading somewhere? Since the sync and async camps of
>> commonJS were unable to agree, we left with two sets of incompatible
>> JS libs and a few gymnastic boilerplate adapters to bridge them.
>> Perhaps a standard could do no better, but one can hope.
> I think things are quite settled:
> Present: 2 standards –
> - Asynchronous: Asynchronous module definitions (AMD): RequireJS (has an adapter for Node.js) etc.
> - Synchronous: CommonJS (Node.js etc.)

Exactly my point: these are not compatible so libs like q.js have to
add 18 lines of goop and a throw based workaround, see:

I guess you meant:
but my question was more about whether this had any forward momentum,
implementations etc.

> What would you want to standardize? It would be great if Node.js adopted AMD,

Let's leave that discussion to commonjs.

> but at the very latest we’ll have a common standard via

I'm wondering, given that I don't see any motion. Hence my query.