Loyal Opposition to Const, Private, Freeze, Non-Configurable, Non-Writable...

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 2 12:05:42 PDT 2011

On Nov 2, 2011, at 12:00 PM, John J Barton wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Quildreen Motta <quildreen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Imho, no users *SHOULD* use Object.create directly. That's why abstractions
>> exist —
>
> Of course I agree with you!
>
>> and first class functions make it easy enough to make them.
>
> But if we had Crockford's Object.create()

You mean begetObject?

Anyway, who cares about the name? There's nothing super-magical about Object.create in my book. YMMV.

> rather than the one you
> don't want us to use we would not need the class goop ;-)
>
> Anyway this is all wishful thinking. Languages don't get simpler.

English is. Moods such as the subjunctive are dying, spellings grow simpler, etc.

Let's take a long view. We removed 'with' in ES5 strict and thus in Harmony. There's time to remove other things.

This doesn't mean we should "get it wrong" or be ok with less than our best, of course.

OTOH reflection/meta-programming libraries are like plumbing (or plumbers at work :-P). Why are you staring at them and worrying, when they're behind the varnished cabinet door?

When I think of "language simplicity" as a good to optimize, I think about kernel semantics and common syntax, not every corner of every built-in or standard library.