Loyal Opposition to Const, Private, Freeze, Non-Configurable, Non-Writable...

Quildreen Motta quildreen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:51:21 PDT 2011

On 02/11/11 15:41, Brendan Eich wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2011, at 9:26 AM, John J Barton wrote:
>
>> Of course these details are
>> important for the use-cases that need them. Unfortunately everyone
>> else has to carry the baggage.
> What exactly do you mean by "carry"?
>
> Implementors have to implement. They get the big bucks and bear the burden for the greater good.
>
> Most users *do not* have to carry all the ES5 APIs in their head. Almost no users ever even need to use Object.create. Perhaps this is a missed opportunity, but that's a different argument from what your use of "carry" implies.
Imho, no users *SHOULD* use Object.create directly. That's why
abstractions exist — and first class functions make it easy enough to
make them.

Also, there are plenty of libraries provide nice abstractions over the
low-level part of the language (pd being the simplest one, I guess), to
a point I think criticising a built-in feature for being "too generic"
is kind of missing the point...

It's been this way with the DOOM too, isn't it?