Loyal Opposition to Const, Private, Freeze, Non-Configurable, Non-Writable...

Mikeal Rogers mikeal.rogers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:51:14 PDT 2011

On Nov 2, 2011, at November 2, 20119:30 AM, Quildreen Motta wrote:

>> "freeze" does not add anything new to an object. If you don't want to change the shape of an object ... don't change the shape of the object.
> Again, immutability isn't just about security, but optimisation as well. You could also look at shared-memory threads, because I think they make a hell of an argument for "frozen" objects or immutability.

The last time we looked at freezing a few core objects in node.js we found that v8 was actually slower with them frozen and backed them out, which is probably a good thing.

I'm very skeptical of the "new language feature for optimization" argument ever since the static typing debate in ES4 and the tracer work Mozilla did shortly after.