Loyal Opposition to Const, Private, Freeze, Non-Configurable, Non-Writable...

Quildreen Motta quildreen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:33:03 PDT 2011

On 02/11/11 14:26, John J Barton wrote:
> Another maybe stronger argument is simplicity: these myriad new minor
> features create a blizzard of chaff in the way of developers. One
> excellent example is Object.create(). Here was a terrific opportunity
> to simplify the language based on years of experience and analysis.
> But instead of an object as a second argument, we got a descriptor
> requiring many details for each property. Of course these details are
> important for the use-cases that need them. Unfortunately everyone
> else has to carry the baggage.
`Object.create' is not supposed to be used directly by end-users. It's
for library writers. Library writers get the heavy weight and generic
things, and transform that for a specific use-case. Of course, not
having an `Object.extend' and other object composition functionality
makes things a little too meh.