Loyal Opposition to Const, Private, Freeze, Non-Configurable, Non-Writable...

John J Barton johnjbarton at johnjbarton.com
Wed Nov 2 09:26:43 PDT 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Jeremy Ashkenas <jashkenas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:01 AM, David Bruant <bruant.d at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Could you elaborate on this point?
>> All object-lockdown I can think (non-configurability, non-writability,
>> non-enumerability, private names, const variables, const classes) of is
>> optional. Why are you against them?
> The freedom of having every object and every property be configurable,
> settable, introspectable, readable and writable, at least at the language
> level, is worth the trade off. If we add const, private, and other lock-down
> syntax, or make class properties private by default (shudder), I guarantee
> you that many potential innovative libraries that otherwise might spring up
> will never even be conceived, and frustrating situations that could have
> otherwise been solved by a quick patch will instead require convoluted
> work-arounds.

Another maybe stronger argument is simplicity: these myriad new minor
features create a blizzard of chaff in the way of developers. One
excellent example is Object.create(). Here was a terrific opportunity
to simplify the language based on years of experience and analysis.
But instead of an object as a second argument, we got a descriptor
requiring many details for each property. Of course these details are
important for the use-cases that need them. Unfortunately everyone
else has to carry the baggage.

jjb