Minimalist Classes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Nov 1 23:55:44 PDT 2011

On Nov 1, 2011, at 8:58 PM, Axel Rauschmayer wrote:

> I really hope that “let is the new var” will hold and won’t be replaced with “let is the new var, except for class declarations and global variables”.

Globals may be an issue, we see patterns like this

var foo;
if (typeof foo == "undefined")
  foo = function () {...};

The var is required by ES5 strict here.

But never mind var in class, I've updated https://gist.github.com/1332193 to go with the data property initialiser flow, but keep the batteries-included/rich-cordoba-leather appeal of const/private/static optional prefixes.

This avoids the funky looking unprefixed assignment or standalone name issue Arv just mentioned too.