Minimalist Classes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Nov 1 17:18:37 PDT 2011

On Oct 31, 2011, at 6:57 PM, Jeremy Ashkenas wrote:

> 'Evening, ES-Discuss.
>
> After poking a stick in the bees' nest this morning (apologies, Allen), and in the spirit of loyal opposition, it's only fair that I throw my hat in the ring.
>
> Here is a proposal for minimalist JavaScript classes that enable behavior that JavaScripters today desire (as evidenced by libraries and languages galore), without adding any new semantics beyond what already exists in ES3.
>
> https://gist.github.com/1329619
>
> Let me know what you think, and feel free to fork.

Thanks, I did fork, and I made a Rich Corinthian Leather version, for the reasons given in the comments. In brief, I contend that over-minimizing will please no one: class haters still gonna hate, while class lovers used to batteries-and-leather-included will find the bare sheet metal poky and painful.

Love it or hate it, I'm ok either way :-P. But I do crave intelligent responses.