Minimalist Classes

Dmitry Soshnikov dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 11:05:49 PDT 2011

On 01.11.2011 21:57, Brendan Eich wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Dmitry Soshnikov wrote:
>
>> The technique I showed of course initially is designed to be used
>> with class-system; though, I think it can be adopted to class-free
>> system as well.
>
> We're not going to delete and restore. That's a non-starter for
> performance and observable mutation reasons.
>
> If you think something can be adapted, you have to show how. At this
> point we don't need more assertions.

Well, at least I showed that the problem which so loudly sound here (w/o
seeing alternative solutions) isn't actually the problem -- even for a
library.

When I was showing it, it was just a reaction on the "big" problem
issued by Dave and others, it wasn't the proposal "let's standardize
it". Of course I as well understand that it's not good for performance.

And the point b) with "statically attached" class for a method, yes, it
also was here for years and can be implemented in any ES3 library (with
using `caller` which though is deprecated for user level, super calls
were more than elegant --
https://github.com/DmitrySoshnikov/def.js/blob/master/def.js#L80).

I noticed that I noticed, the current classes syntax with <|
}.prototype.{ }.constructor.{ will (OK, IMO) afraid the users (seems
mostly from classes the thread is started, not just super calls).

Dmitry.