May 24-26 rough meeting notes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat May 28 12:59:24 PDT 2011

On May 28, 2011, at 12:57 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> On May 28, 2011, at 11:32 AM, Peter Michaux wrote:
>
>> A lot of the above looks like HTML. Isn't versioning that depends on
>> HTML out of scope for the ECMAScript standard?
>
> Yes, so? Call the jusdiction police :-P.

Er, "jurisdiction".

The versioning issue on the web requires thinking about HTML as well as JS. We discussed generating script tags via document.write conditioned by object detection and the like (autoconf-style trial eval tests of new features). None of this is purely ECMA-262, it all involves something above JS in the browser, at least the DOM or even HTML.

/be