Date.prototype.format

Adam Shannon adam at ashannon.us
Fri May 27 13:59:07 PDT 2011

I like the idea of putting .format() on the Date; it would allow for
quick and easy access to a handy formatter. However, would it make
more sense to use the set that php uses to format dates?[0] I would
assume that developers would be more familiar with that.

[0]: http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:21, Marc Harter <wavded at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:08 AM, John Tamplin <jat at google.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Marc Harter <wavded at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This may of been thrown though the ringer already but I thought I'd ask.
>>>
>>> http://blog.stevenlevithan.com/archives/date-time-format
>>>
>>> This is some awesome work on date formatting.  What do we think about
>>> having a native Date Format implementation in es.next?  Complications?
>>>  Seems like this a very commonly needed option.  Especially w/ SSJS
>>> now getting more popular.
>>
>> See http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:i18n_api
>
> Thanks!
>
>> Note that it is rarely useful to format with a fixed pattern, because
>> different locales have different norms for ordering of the fields,
>> separators, etc.
>
> By fixed pattern do you mean like  d.format('YY/mm/dd')?  If so,
> doesn't that allow for more expressive power?
>
>> --
>> John A. Tamplin
>> Software Engineer (GWT), Google
>>

> --