May 24-26 rough meeting notes

Jorge jorge at jorgechamorro.com
Fri May 27 02:36:41 PDT 2011

On 27/05/2011, at 11:01, Brendan Eich wrote:
> On May 26, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Waldemar wrote:
>
>> Arrow Function/Block:
>> function f() {
>>   a.forEach({| | return 3});
>> }
>> The return will return out of f.  Note also that the implementation of forEach could have a try-finally statement that catches and revokes the return.  This kind of cross-function return catching is new.
>
> And some on TC39 <3 this "Tennent sequel" feature, to quote dherman. Others cited the new as potentially too much for average users to grok. No one hated it overtly.

It's not that "it's too much to grok", it's that as I like that (blocks) syntax so much, I'd prefer to use it for (shorter) functions (syntax) instead of the (ugly, extraneous, imho) "arrow syntax proposal", not for blocks.

Also, I wonder if in order to make blocks first class, do we need any new syntax ?

function f() {
  a.forEach({ return 3 });
}

?