May the defineProperty method of a proxy handler throw a TypeError?

David Flanagan dflanagan at mozilla.com
Thu May 26 09:44:21 PDT 2011

On 5/26/11 6:51 AM, Sean Eagan wrote:
> Is think it would beneficial to replace all this.* calls in the
> default trap implementations with Object.* methods and syntax that
> subsequently triggers the this.* calls.  This would guarantee that
> none of the internal object semantics are being missed, and
> implementations could still optimize just as easily.

With specification text "as if by calling the primordial Object.*
function"?  So that user modifications to Object.* are not observable?

Wouldn't that mean that a pure-JavaScript implementation of the default
traps would not be possible from a module that could not run at
interpreter startup?  (That may not be a goal that anyone has, of course.)

Personally, I think that proxies would be easier to reason about if no
distinction was made between fundamental and derived traps. I'd put that
distinction in an abstract Proxy.Handler class and then rename the
current Proxy.Handler to Proxy.ForwardingHandler.

     David