Is class syntax really necessary ?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon May 23 15:48:47 PDT 2011

On May 23, 2011, at 11:25 AM, Bob Nystrom wrote:

> One thing I'd like the proposal to support, which it doesn't currently, is initializers on instance property declarations. Then you could do:
>
> class C {
>   public _list = [];
> }
>
> With that, you'll correctly get a new _list on each instance of C when it's created.

But (we've argued, I forget where so repeating it here), this looks like [] is evaluated once when the class declaration is evaluated. That is not what you intend.

Then at some point (in the last thread on this) I remembered parameter default values, but they cover only missing parameters to the constructor. This _list member could be private. But it has to be initialized in a body that executes once per instantiation, which is not the class body -- it's the constructor body.