Is class syntax really necessary ?

Luke Hoban lukeh at microsoft.com
Mon May 23 11:33:57 PDT 2011

>> there are lots of ES.next features that let us do something that we could not do at all previously (weak tables and refs are a good example). features that enable new kinds of applications we couldn't previous build.

+1 on this point.  There’s been a lot of discussion of syntactic sugar recently, but much less discussion of the features that provide new capabilities, or new opportunities for meaningful performance enhancements that make new kinds of applications possible.  Features like  private names as a library feature, String and Math enhancements, proxies, runtime capabilities for module loading, typed arrays, and others are incremental enabling value which unblocks or makes realistic things which aren’t currently possible.  These are also features that are more likely to be implemented sooner, and which developers can adopt more quickly and smoothly via feature-detection in 'text/javascript'.

Luke