block lambda revival

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Sat May 21 19:15:23 PDT 2011

> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:block_lambda_revival

I like it. Blocks seem like “true” functions, where current functions always carry the method-ish |this| with them. Blocks are especially useful as a concise callable construct inside methods.

Questions:

- |this|: How is lexical |this| achieved? Via bind() (or something similar)?

- Can blocks be used as methods? Not as important, because conciseness for methods is taken care of by the Concise Object Literal Extensions.

- |return|: Is there a way to return from a block before it ends (like |return| does for functions)?

Thus: are blocks completely different from functions or are they translated to the same construct (internally). I can imagine this being done to make |arguments| lexical, but it seems tricky for handling lexical |this|.

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer

axel at rauschma.de