block lambda revival

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat May 21 12:21:58 PDT 2011

On May 21, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Peter Michaux wrote:

> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> If somehow the whole is rejected, we can pluck out parts and propose them separately, or better: as part of alternative integrated designs.
>
> Understood.
>
> Neither of the two strawmen proposals as wholes appeal to me. You
> invited feedback. I've given mine. The general public has no official
> say in the matter. I can only hope some on the committee agree.

Everyone on the committee entertained lambda (x) { x * x } back in late 2008 to early 2009, the "Allen's lambda syntax proposal". I don't think we can make that work due to lambda not being reserved, but perhaps there's a way. If so, it could still be a fall-back from the more concise Ruby-esque syntax.