block lambda revival

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat May 21 11:28:25 PDT 2011

On May 21, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Peter Michaux wrote:

> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> 'lambda' is not reserved and still overlong. TC39 and this list have been over this ground before. I don't see anything new in your post to change the outcome.
>
> TC39 will not introduce *any* new keywords to the language?

We will, and we reserved a set in ES5 while unreserving a larger Java-influenced set from ES1 days that actual implementations did not all reserve.

We may even reserve new keywords not in the ES5 future reserved identifiers list. But only with good reason and ideally where we don't break much content, or even any (think contextual keyword, e.g., new and meaningful only in class bodies).