block lambda revival

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat May 21 11:27:09 PDT 2011

On May 21, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Peter Michaux wrote:

> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Jorge <jorge at jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
>
>> Why the (sudden) urge to copy so many bits ( paren-free, -> // =>, etc ) of
>> coffee's syntax ?
>
> I agree. I don't see how Coffeescript deserves to be such a strong
> influence with such a short history and limited use.

Arrows are in many languages. CoffeeScript is not being standardized and it is not overriding (nor should we ignore it). Please stop rehashing or me-too'ing on this canard that somehow the branded "other" is threatening the JS "self".

Someone may need psychoanalysis here, but it is not JS!

>> (does JS have an identity crisis now ?)
>
> JavaScript has always had an identity crisis, hasn't it? ;-)

This looks like more projection, or just misattribution. People have identity crises, not programming languages.

I will try to be positive: please have the confidence to look at alternative syntaxes and other languages without getting hung up on provenance or even youthfulness of the language. Open your mind and consider the details on their merits, ignore the branding.

Let's get back to technical issues, if we can.