block lambda revival

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Sat May 21 11:07:25 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Peter Michaux wrote:

>> In another thread, some people were suggesting {||}
>> as an exact alternative to the thin arrow.
>
> Yes, I cited the thread in the strawman. So what? Chopping proposals into little pieces does not help, we've seen this before.

But the two strawmans conflate ideas unnecessarily. Someone out there
may want thin arrow lambdas without paren free calling. If they do
then how do they choose between the {||} lambda paren free verses the
arrow function strawmans. They cannot.

There are several issues that can be dealt with separately.

1) Should new syntax be introduced for functions?

2) Should lambdas be introduced? If so what would there syntax be?

3) Should paren free calls be introduced?

Peter