Function syntax

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Sat May 21 11:01:37 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Saying JS has function expressions that are wildly popular is jumping to a conclusion.

How is that jumping to conclusions? All the JavaScript code that I
read uses function expressions.

> JS is "popular" in that it's the only built-in browser language, but let's say it is popular on its own these days (NodeJS, e.g.).

Not sure how this relates to the success of functions in JavaScript code.

> It still does not follow that function expressions are popular enough that shorter syntax would not make the language more usable for enough developers that shorter syntax is worth adding.

JavaScript function expressions are not suffering neglect due to their
length. I doubt shorter syntax will increase their popularity because
function expressions seem to be used where the concept is appropriate
even. Separately from that I don't think JavaScript needs shorter
function syntax but that is up for debate.

Peter